6/4/11

Three Best Things about Heirloom Market BBQ


My mom, Pattie, and I went to Heirloom Market BBQ today to see what all the talk was about. This place is still a best kept secret, although it was pretty busy when we went. I wondered how such a buzzworthy restaurant was practically out of the perimeter. At first we couldn't even find it. I knew it was near Sal Grosso and Rose and Crown Tavern, but I didn't know where Akers Mill was. Then we called Dad and he helped us out with the directions. I guess it's time to bring the GPS with me, but I do love to get lost and go exploring.

Anyway, we did find it after turning right on Powers Ferry from Windy Hill, then going until it dead-ended into Akers Mill, and taking a right. Once we turned right, the restaurant was immediately on the left.

Heirloom Market BBQ is owned and run by two friendly young chefs who happen to be a couple! Chef Jiyeon Lee is the female chef, and she is so gorgeous in her pink chef's coat, and very, very nice! She is also a Korean pop star, and she went to Le Cordon Bleu, my husband's alma mater. Jiyeon infuses the cuisine with Korean flavors as well, which you can see in many spicy dishes, and ones such as the Kimchi Cole Slaw. Her partner is Chef Cody Taylor, who worked at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead. They met while working at Repast. The cashier was also extremely friendly, and she told us that she bakes the jumbo cookies that are for sale.

Heirloom's decor is very interesting and comfortable. Down-to-earth, yet full of antiques and neat tchotchkes. There is also a deck outside with stacks of wood for smoking. Asian notes appear throughout, in the Jasmine sweet tea, in the free candy jar as you leave. Everything at Heirloom seems designed to welcome you earnestly as a guest into Cody and Jiyeon's home away from home. It is wonderful to dine in such a welcoming environment.

We ordered pulled pork sandwiches with cole slaw and tempura sweet potatoes with Tennessee sauce, as well as smoked brisket and chicken with collard greens. This has got to be the best BBQ I've ever tasted. It has set the standard for Atlanta, and I hope everyone else rises to meet this challenge. In the meantime, I will go back to Heirloom if I am in the mood for BBQ. Exquisite food, and a lovely atmosphere.

So here are the three best things I love about Heirloom Market BBQ -
1. The Food is SMOKIN'!
2. It is totally down to earth.
3. It is nearby! I hope it stays there forever! :)

Heirloom Market BBQ








Heirloom Market BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments: